A capsizing boat is considered one of the risks and most terrifying parts about being at sea. In most cases, capsizing is more common when the vessel is either carrying more weight or if it is taking very little weight. However, the majority of all cases of boats being swamped is due to rough and erratic waves. However, being prepared for one in the likeliness of this event and knowing what to do, can help your case dramatically.
A crucial aspect to take into care when your boat is swamped is to make sure that all the procedures are followed thoroughly. All boats and automobiles are expected and known to have a book of rules, regulations, and procedures. If your boat dealer hasn’t provided you with a booklet then ensure that you find one from the internet. This rule book is considered an essential part of a marine vessel, as it tells you correctly what to do if your boat capsizes. The book also tells you where the emergency equipment is. To help to be spotted easier, familiarise yourself with the locations of all the medical and emergency supplies that will be needed during cases such as these.
- One of the main things to do when your boat capsizes is to stay with the boat. It is likely that the water current in the ocean is strong enough to drag you away and possibly drown you if you are not holding onto something. Debris and other objects floating around you should not be used as a way to swim as due to their instability and lightweight they may enable you to drift further away. So staying with your boat will keep you safe and reduce chances of drift and further complications. The main reason for why you should hold on to your boat if your boat capsizes is because of the opportunity that helicopters in search of you can quickly notice you.
- If you are on your own with no boat around you or any debris, then there is no chance of a person of vehicle noticing you. Another way to secure your visibility is to wear bright material or use your life jacket. A flare or something that makes noise or reveals your locations is also a good choice.
- A more creative way of attracting attention to yourself when you have capsized is tethering as many loose parts and pieces to the boat to make it bigger and more noticeable from the air.
- If you are someone who is constantly prepared for events such as this, you may find ways to sends a distress signal through radio or any device that connects to the network. However, if you are in a place that is relatively popular, you may find that catching a ride is possible and there may be nothing to worry about to reduce risks of personal and property damage.
- Boat owners are being asked to wear a personal floating device at all times and complete team building activities to help cope with the probability of the event of capsizing.